My father - five days after his prognosis...

Dad perked up after I got him home last weekend and my brothers arrived.  Hospice is on board with daily visits and medications. 

Dark wet streets lay before me that starless Saturday morning when I drove to the hospital at 4 a.m. to be with Dad.  Laying next to him in the hospital bed, I listened to the gurgle of fluid beginning to creep into his lungs as one more sign that his body is beginning to shut down.  We shared some thoughts - mostly silence - as night gave way to day and the snow blew sideways.  Father’s physician visited a few hours later to say goodbye to Father.  He asked if Dad would like to pray.  They held hands while the doctor said a beautiful prayer aloud from his heart.  Dad also prayed out loud – a humble poignant moment shared through tears while I sat at the foot of the bed.  Mom was preparing at home since we had been told that Dad would be released “first thing” (they had put the “pick-line” – a permanent IV - in the night before).  Alas, it was late afternoon before father was wheeled (freshly showered) to my truck. The reclusive sun came out to brighten the landscape during Dad’s nauseous ride home.  Within minutes after I helped Dad into the house, grey clouds swallowed the sun.  Howard and his family arrived Saturday night.  Robin drove from Tennessee and arrived Sunday evening. 
Dad insisted on having the kitchen and bathroom floors ripped up, new sub floors put down, and new linoleum installed (the flooring had been ordered and the project scheduled to occur this week before the recent medical events transpired).  Robin and Howard are helping with the floor project to speed up progress.  Howard’s girls have been staying with me.
Dad, Mom, the boys and I met with the mortician yesterday afternoon at the house.  The funeral director was Howard’s high school classmate.  We all liked him - though it was a bit surreal to carry on the meeting while two strangers pounded away loudly in the kitchen.  Two of Dad’s brothers will arrive tomorrow (Keith and Carl).  Mary Jane will drive with Carl from Nebraska and Lacy is accompanying Keith by plane (also from Nebraska).
Dad will decide what arrangements he wants to make (he is considering several options).  He had a difficult time last evening with nausea and weakness.  Hospice is available by phone 24 hours a day to assist with questions, concerns, and medications.  The jaundice is more apparent each day.  He slept his best night of rest last night with mother in their bedroom.  Today the construction continues, Dad is a bit tired - but as you know – he is a tough stubborn bugger using his walker to wheel himself about the house and is (of course) overseeing the floor project.
Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.